Monthly Archives: May 2017
Tanned skin is damaged skin…and who wants that? Prolonged exposure to the sun can cause early wrinkling and brown spots, and it puts you at risk for skin cancer, too. While most of us enjoy being outside in the summer, not many of us really want to suffer the effects of sun damage. Staying safe while spending time outside is possible, though. The strategies just need to become a part of your daily routine.
Here are some simple ways to protect your skin:
- Stay indoors between 10am and 3pm, when the sun is most powerful. There are two types of rays: UVA rays cause aging and wrinkles and contribute to skin cancer. UVB rays cause sunburn and skin cancer.
- Go nowhere without sunscreen:
- More is better, so don’t scrimp. Make sure that it has a SPF of 30 or higher and it says “broad spectrum” on the label, which means that it will handle both UVA and UVB rays. Also, make sure it’s water-resistant and that you apply it all over your body 15 to 30 minutes before leaving the house.
- Use sunscreen even when it is cloudy outside, when you are driving in a car and inside a window. UVA rays penetrate clouds, glass and water.
- If you wear foundation, apply the sunscreen first and let it absorb before continuing with your makeup.
- Don’t forget the lip balm, SPF 15 or higher.
- Remember the tops of your ears, hairline, the “V” of your chest, nose, hands and tops of your feet. Eighty percent of skin cancer occurs on the head, neck and hands.
- Wear protective clothing: hats, sleeves and sunglasses. Dark, tightly woven fabrics provide more protection than lightly colored ones. Find hats that have protection built into them.
- Be aware that umbrellas and shade trees give only moderate protection from ultraviolet light. They don’t protect you from light that is reflected off of sand, snow, concrete and other surfaces.
- Avoid tanning oils. These essentially cook your skin.
- Be conscious of your medications. Certain medicines can make your skin extra sensitive to sun exposure, including tetracycline, diuretics and even herbal formulations such as St. John’s Wort.
Call us today to schedule your complimentary consultation. See you soon.
When the weather changes here in New York, you can see a visible change in people. They don’t hunch from the cold, they look up instead of down, they smile. Something about warmer temperatures makes us relax a little and feel better. Usually, we feel energized and recharged this time of year, when it’s not too cold and not too hot, either.
Why not celebrate spring with a few quick invigorators that will help you look rested and revitalized after a long winter. These treatments may be the perfect way to transition from spring to summer. Here are a few to consider…
Microdermabrasion: A convenient nonsurgical treatment, microdermabrasion rejuvenates and revitalizes your skin. It’s painless and effective, helping to reduce fine lines, wrinkles, acne, clogged pores, blemishes, dry skin, oily skin and other conditions on your face, neck, chest, arms, elbows, knees and even hands. Microdermabrasion may be used on light or dark skin, with outstanding results. It not only exfoliates the skin’s surface, but also promotes new cell growth in the basal, or deepest layer of the skin. It also stimulates collagen production, improving the skin’s texture.
Clear + Brilliant: This treatment uses the same noninvasive fractional laser technology developed by the makers of Fraxel. It helps erase early signs of photo-damage, sun damage, fine lines and wrinkles, uneven skin tone, rough skin texture and large pores. Also, it’s gentler on your skin than most other lasers and may be used on many areas of your body, including your hands, legs, face, neck, back, chest and arms.
GentleWaves: This photo-based treatment activates your skin’s natural rejuvenation process, without pain, side effects or downtime. It helps to repair sun damage, diminish age spots and improve the overall texture of your skin.
Laser Hair Removal: Laser hair removal is a safe, convenient and long-lasting treatment that gets rid of the hassles of traditional techniques such as shaving, plucking and waxing.
Botox: Every day, as you use your face to show expression, “dynamic” wrinkles form. Worry lines, frown lines, laugh or smile lines, crow’s feet–these are all caused by common movements. Botox injections can safely and effectively soften the lines and reduce wrinkles.
Call us today to schedule your summer pick-me-up. See you soon.
If you haven’t yet thought about Exilis Elite, now may be the time. This highly effective thermal energy device works to tone and tighten loose and sagging skin and melt stubborn fatty deposits anywhere on your face and body. The treatment is great for both deep skin and surface conditions.
Exilis Elite gives us maximum power with total control. Now we can safely and effectively deliver the right amount of thermal energy to help reshape your body and increase skin tightness, nonsurgically. Popular areas treated with Exilis Elite include the face, jowls, neck, chest, back, “love handles,” “bra fat,” abdomen, thighs, hips, buttocks and knees. It can also be effective for treating cellulite.
Using the most advanced and sophisticated thermal energy, Exilis Elite is an FDA-approved treatment that offers you real results without surgery–or anesthesia and incisions–and without downtime. It typically requires a few sessions to achieve optimal results. The best part…the results are incremental, getting better and better with time.
Call our office today to schedule a complimentary consultation. We’ll devise a treatment plan tailored for your individual needs.
See you soon.
Not many people are happy about lines, wrinkles, sagging skin or a tired appearance. Among the top nonsurgical anti-aging treatments, the Liquid Facelift can offer instant results for these concerns, plumping up your droopy spots and restoring a youthful contour to your face.
With injectable fillers, we can take years off of your appearance. Targeting your temples, brows, upper eyelids, under-eye areas, cheeks, mouth corners and jowls, we can help to erase the signs of aging, naturally and easily. With expert precision and careful attention to your facial anatomy, we’ll help you look as young and refreshed as possible. Your recovery time will be minimal, too.
Here is how we do it:
- Define, lift, shape the cheeks…with Juvederm Voluma
- Erase forehead lines…with Botox or Dysport
- Balance the chin…augment with Radiesse
- Lift the mouth…reduce nasolabial folds and downturned lips to restore a youthful smile, with Restylane
- Open up the eyes…to perk up your entire face, with Belotero, Juvederm, Restylane, Restylane Silk
- Elevate the brows…to create a rested appearance
- Reduce eye puffiness…to give structure to under eye area and compensate for bone loss, fat loss and thinning skin
Now is a terrific time for a Liquid Facelift. Call our office this week for a consultation, and we’ll devise a special plan just for you.
See you soon.
When it comes to making improvements on your bodies, you may spend a lot of time talking about your lower half. Many people, particularly women, focus on their lower abdomens, hips and legs. When spring turns to summer, though, and sleeveless tops take center stage in wardrobes, many of you ask me about cosmetic treatments for your upper body.
Here’s a quick look at what we can do to trim and tighten your torso and upper extremities:
For arms and elbows: To reduce fat, tighten and contour these areas, SmartLipo Triplex, Exilis Elite and Thermage CPT are effective treatments that can be done now, in the spring, with dramatic results. You may notice that your tricep looks droopy, or the spot above your elbow has lost its spring, or the skin in the crease appears crepey. You may also spot bulges in your underarm area. SmartLipo, Exilis Elite and Thermage CPT can help minimize unwanted fat and folds. Even if you do your weights and toning exercises, sometimes the skin doesn’t respond the way that you want it to, so these minimally invasive treatments could be options for you.
For bra and abdomen fat: Loose-fitting or thick sweaters provide great camouflage during winter and fall. But with temperatures starting to soar, this trick will cease to work. The season’s tiny tops, not to mention bathing suits, will have a hard time covering the excess flesh that protrudes from the top of and the bottom of your bra strap. Those back bulges disrupt your entire silhouette, but we have several treatments that will help reduce them. Along with Exilis Elite and Thermage CPT, SmartLipo is highly effective, as it will destroy fat cells permanently.
Come talk with us about the many options for shaping and tightening your upper body. Call our offices today to schedule a complimentary consultation.
See you soon.