Monthly Archives: January 2014
Today’s Men are clearly in on having anti aging cosmetic procedures! My male clientelle is growing by leaps and bounds the same as others across the nation. There are a few differences between men’s demands and those of our female patients. Basically, Men want to look younger, more energetic and healthy simply because they want to…and because the competitive career market today demands that men and women look good. Our society equates looking good with youthfulness, thus the tremendous upsurge in age defying cosmetic treatments this past decade. Men also want their treatments to be “subtle”…they simple don’t want anyone else to know they’re having Botox® (Brotox) treatments for a smoother, younger looking face. Men want “in and out” no downtime options. That means treatments like Botox with reduced redness, swelling and bruising. (Be sure you use only a Certified Expert Injector).
We offer many Men’s anti aging cosmetic treatments that are safe and effective without surgery…that’s right no knife, no cutting and no downtime.
TOP COSMETIC TRENDS for MEN
- American Board of Plastic Surgery reports Male cosmetic treatments are up by 258% over 10 years
- Men are opting for more laser treatments to promote health and youthfulness
- Rhinoplasty, Hair Removal and Blepharoplasty (for the eyes) is still at the top
- Botox (Brotox), Hyaluronic Acid Fillers e.g. Juvederm, Restylane etc for lines and wrinkles and stressed look removal
- Microdermabrasion for skin resurfacing reveals younger, healthier skin, removes scars, sun damage and discoloration
- Men are starting cosmetic treatments at younger ages and then maintaining on a regular basis
- The Millenials treat cosmetic anti aging procedures as part of their regular health regimen
- Cosmetic treatments for men and women of the younger generations are the “New Beauty Economics”
- The stigma for men and cosmetic treatments is gone…men are in the deal to stay
- I offer non surgical alternatives to surgical procedures
Ok, we have the treatments and they work. But preventive measures are important too. Here are a few that can really make a difference in your quest for anti aging:
- Start now and do these the rest of your life to make a difference
- SKIN CARE is critical at every age. To maintain healthy skin keep well hydrated, including your facial skin. Yes, men need good skin hydration and protection against harmful environmental agents.
- Use Sunscreen – UVA and UVB rays are responsible for 90% of the early signs of facial aging
- Stress…manage it or it will manage you! Daily stressors contribute to acne, facial lines and grooves especially around the eyes.
- Exercise for Stress Reduction. Go to the gym and workout, ski, swim, bike etc to get the blood flowing and strengthen those heart muscles.
- Maintain a “healthy” diet. Get rid of the junk food. Instead, eat raw vegetables, fruits, good oils, drink at lest 64 ounces of water daily, eat more fish etc.
- Sleep is critical to good overall health. Lack of adequate sleep shows up in facial aging.
- Live a Healthy Lifestyle. Don’t smoke, limit alcohol consumptions, get over the party life and into a daily healthy routine.
- Visit my website for info on procedures/products: www.drcovey.com.
This post is an overview of future articles I’ll write educating on the procedures I offer to both men and women. Look for great info as we go through 2014… helping you to be your very best!
Hyperpigmentation is a problem in the U.S. Caused by excess melanin production that results in dark spots and patchy skin, it is correctable. But stopping it requires diligent use of the right skin care products and clinical treatments. Read on for more info on the causes and treatment options.
THE RISE OF HYPERPIGMENTATION in the US:
BIRTH CONTROL and HORMONE THERAPIES Many doctors see a direct correlation between the use of birth control and hormone replacement therapy to developing hyperpigmentation. The increased usage of both treatments in the US is well documented along with the onset of skin hyperpigmentation for those involved in these medical treatments.
SUNSCREEN NON USAGE Sunscreen should be used all year around but not every American wears sunscreen daily. Tanning is another known contributor to the rise of hyperpigmentation.
CERTAIN DISEASES are proven to affect skin tone. Diabetes in particular among older women often causes skin discoloration, especially on the neck.
POPULATION CHANGES amplify hyperpigmentation since it occurs more often in those ethnic groups with greater numbers of natural genetic pigment producing skin cells.
DEFINITION of HYPERPIGMENTATION:
Brown, red or pink, small or large clustered or diffuse darkening of the skin. Any part of the skin that is darker than the rest is hyperpigmented regardless of where it appears. The importance of using sunscreen daily cannot be overemphasized!
DISCOLORATION TYPES…Melasma, Sunspots (age/liver spots), Freckles, PIH.
To effectively treat it and stop it…recognize each type of hyperpigmentation:
1) MELASMA is light to medium brown; occurs on the cheeks, side of face, upper nose, forehead and above the lip. Look like splotchy patches irregular in shape and size. Caused by a surge in hormones from pregnancy,child birth coupled with excess sun exposure. TREATMENT: Retin-A, acid peels, IPL treatments and others.
2) SUNSPOTS (age/liver spots) – Light to dark brown color; on the face, chest and hands. They are small, flat dark spots caused by the sun. TREATMENT: Retinol + IPL Fractional laser treatments.
3) PIH – Pink, red or brown flat spots on the face caused by inflammatory acne. TREATMENTS: Light salicylic acid chemical peels and red light or blue light treatments.
4) FRECKLES are light to dark brown or red or black spots, small and concentrated on the face, chest and arms. TREATMENTS: Fraxel or Yag laser.
Also understand that pigmentation occurs in cycles. Sometimes discoloration occurs instantly while in other cases it occurs over two to four weeks. Aging affects skin discoloration as the melanin is unevenly distributed. I see patients all the time seeking treatment for their spots. For complete treatment info see “spots” on my website: www.drcovey.com.(Treatments I use include: IPL, Diolite, Fraxel laser, Gentle waves)
MEN and COSMETIC TREATMENTS … Men are just as quick to have cosmetic treatments as are women. For example; Botox for male treatments is called Brotox. Men of all ages and stages are having cosmetic treatments in order to stay competitive in their careers and simply because they want to look good. Some popular men’s options include: Rhinoplasty, Hair Transplant, Laser Hair removal, Blepharoplasty (upper and lower eyelids), Brotox, Injectable facial fillers, microdermabrasion and more. Men want quick fixes, or “in and out” no downtime options. We have these options and our male clientelle is growing weekly! The outdated stigma is gone as proven by the increasing numbers of men who are aging more youthfully!
I offer my patients only the safest, most effective non surgical, anti aging options available today. You can look and feel your absolute best! Let’s talk soon.
Well, we’re already half way through January, 2014 and my patients are still seeking ways to recover from the Holiday’s. In addition to my last two blogs discussing Glow N’Go Post Holiday Skin Rejuvenation and Clear+Brilliant Fraxel Laser treatments, this blog is a brief look at Botox Cosmetic, Dysport and Belotero. All three of these are injectables used to slow down the visible results of aging and restore many years of “youthfulness” to the face.
BOTOX and Brotox
We all develop worry lines, frown lines, laugh/smile lines and Crow’s feet referred to as “dynamic lines and wrinkles” caused by muscles in motion. These lines and wrinkles become more deeply etched into grooves as we age.
Botox® Cosmetic has been used for about two decades worldwide in medical treatments and was developed for cosmetic use in more recent years. Botox is injected into pre targeted areas to block the nerve impulses to the muscles. simultaneously it smooths out facial wrinkles.
Botox is safe, effective, non invasive (non surgical) and can be done over a lunch hour.
Brotox is so named for male Botox treatments using the same formula. Today’s men are having “in and out” cosmetic treatments for career reasons and to look good and be as healthy as possible.
DYSPORT® is a first cousin or twin to Botox Dysport is an injectable form of botulinum toxin type A, the same as Botox. Dysport was first developed in the United Kingdom to treat neurological, ophthalmic and neuromuscular disorders. It was further developed for cosmetic purposes like wrinkle treatments. It too is one of today’s safe, effective anti aging options. Here are some of Dyrport’s benefits:
· No downtime “in and out” lunch hour treatment
· Results are visible within 2 or 3 days, results are clinically proven to be longer lasting
· Dysport may be right for you
BELOTERO BALANCE® …for youthfulness that is uniquely you!
Facial youthfulness is lost as we age due to reduced production of HA (hyaluronic Acid) which affects the underlying facial support structure. Belotero is a highly effective injectable that restores these structures naturally.
Belotero is made from non animal based hyaluronic acid and is similar to other fillers such as Restylane® and Perlane®. Belotero is uniquely formulated to integrate smoothly with your skin for more natural results. It’s unique properties make it more versatile in correcting deep wrinkles and superficial lines. It can plump up your lips and smooth out laugh lines, upper lip lines, crow’s feet and marionette lines…discreetly. With Belotero, people will see a naturally younger looking you that will keep them wondering!
The goal for my blogs is to educate you, update you and encourage you in your quest for a healthy, more youthful aging process. At East End Laser Care I offer only safe yet advanced alternatives to plastic surgery. My patients have learned that they can “Forget the Knife” by using my preferred treatments. You can too!
It is most important to choose a trained, certified expert injector for all of your injectable/Botox/Filler treatments. Please know that more than 100,000 doctors are allowed to perform injectables in the U.S. but only 3% are qualified to do so. Expert Injectors are endorsed by the prestigious American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Buyer Beware!
Best to You and Yours,
PROVEN LASER POWER – PRECISE and GENTLE AGE DEFYING TREATMENTS
If you’ve tried all the creams, lotions, soaps and scrubs and you’re looking for a simple yet effective treatment to restore natural glow and youthfulness to your skin…Clear + Brilliant Laser Skin treatments may be right for you.
CLEAR + BRILLIANT has become the perfect, powerful complement to beauty regimens of scores of patients everywhere.
My patients know that adding Clear + Brilliant Laser Skin treatments to their regular skin care regimen can be effective at any age. Gen Xer’s are leading the charge with today’s “In and Out” procedures to address the early signs of aging. In fact, most start anti aging treatments during their 30’s as part of their regular healthcare program. They know, as we do, that “Celebrities” start early with age defying treatments, they maintain them and they always look several years younger. Many of them are adding Clear + Brilliant laser treatments to their Armamentarium.
WHY CHOOSE CLEAR + BRILLIANT?
Here are just a few reasons:
1) Prevents and treats the signs of aging
2) Unique technology addresses existing and prevents future signs of aging
3) Illuminates your skin tone
4) Corrects photo damage, sun damage, fine lines/wrinkles, uneven skin tone, rough skin texture and large pores
5) Newest, gentlest laser for skin treatments
6) Also treats face, neck, chest, arms, hands, legs and back
7) Enhances the effectiveness of your regular skin care regimen
8) Recovers the glow, luminosity and smoothness for the healthy, glowing skin you deserve!
9) Treatments require about 30 minutes, are comfortable and get real results!
Advanced, precision smart-tip technology delivers unparalleled results at the hands of an expert laser user. Dr. Covey and select staff are trained, experienced, certified and trustworthy laser experts. KNOW BEFORE YOU GO…WHO’S SHOOTING YOUR LASER.
IS CLEAR + BRILLIANT RIGHT FOR YOU?
Well, I get asked this question many times every week. My answer is this: If you are seeking dramatic correction for skin problems, then no, it probably is not for you. I would recommend Fraxel® or Thermage®. But, if you like the way your skin looks; don’t require much correction, and want to “boost” your existing program…with little added time involved, this treatment could help you keep a fresh, youthful appearance for years. See my website for complete info: www.drcovey.com/new york.
A FEW TIPS FOR HEALTHY SKIN:
· Don’t smoke
· Eat nutritious living foods
· Drink plenty of pure water
· Minimize alcohol consumption
· Wash your skin gently
· Moisturize skin regularly
· Use sun protection
· Get enough sleep…regularly
Today’s lasers have taken skin care to a new level. It is one of today’s most popular non invasive treatments because advanced technology is comfortable, safe and effective unlike older laser technology. Questions? Contact me and let’s chat.
My goal for my blogs is to update and educate you about today’s non invasive (non surgical) anti aging beauty options. At East End Laser we are proud of being able to offer our patients the newest, most advanced and safest yet most effective options.
Best Wishes for a Beautiful, Healthy 2014 to You and Yours,
Alexander Covey M.D.
WELCOME to the 2014 blog from Alexander J. Covey and East End Laser Care!
My goal is to inform, educate and encourage you throughout this new year. I will write about our tried and proven procedures and some “late great ones.” I’ll educate about each one and the benefits seen at any age and stage in life. It’s never too late to get started with an age defying – anti aging program. But, we’ve learned from Celebrities (who never seem to age) the great benefits of starting early (20’s) with small procedures and regular, periodic maintenance in order to remove early signs of aging and to always looks years younger!
At East End Laser we offer advanced options that achieve “Natural Good Looks…Without Surgery!”
TIPS for HEALTHY GLOWING SKIN
Cold temperatures. harsh winds, indoor drying heat and more can wreak havoc with your skin making it feel tight, scaly and uncomfortable. Cold air is drying due to lack of moisture found in warm, humid air. Winds cause skin moisture evaporation, thus drier skin during the cold months. Indoor heat pulls moisture out of the skin causing it to dry. Below are some helpful tips to get through the “drying season.” Rich, sugary Holiday foods undermine the immune system and contribute to problem, dull skin. The New Year is here and we are here to guide you into being your very best self ever!
1. Use a gentler cleanser in winter months to avoid stripping the skin’s natural oils and helping to preserve the fragile outer skin barrier.
2.Winter Glow from Daily serum compliments your daily moisturizer. Serums penetrate and hydrate cells in the deeper dermis allowing them to rise to the outer skin level – plump and healthy.
3. Exfoliation removes dead, damaged skin cells and impurities. Exfoliate 2-3 times a week. We can tailor an At Home Skin Care Regime, using products best suited to your needs in order to accomplish Glowing Skin after the all year long.
4. Drink plenty of pure water every day! There is no substitute for water to keep the body well hydrated, the skin plump and clear and to flush out impurities.
5. Love your lips! Your sensitive lip skin needs regular attention to stay youthful sexy and gorgeous. Lips should be gently exfoliated weekly to remove dry, dead skin. Ask us for our recommendations for “gorgeous, sexy lips!”
6. Avoid hot baths. The intense heat of hot baths or showers can actually break down the lipid barriers in the skin leading to moisture loss.
7. Sunscreen is for Wintertime too. Winter sun and snow glare are equally damaging to the skin. Apply sunscreen about 30 minutes before going outdoors.
8. Treat Your Body like Your Face. Skin is the largest body organ and demands constant attention. Keep your Decolletage looking radiant. Ask us how.
9. Eliminate Dull Eyes! Avoid dull looking eyes during dull winters by using an eye cream or serum to keep the skin around the eyes taught…thus making you appear more radiant.
10. Our clients love Microdermabrasion to resurface dull, tired skin. Our gentle Clear and Brilliant Laser treatments enhance aging skin and restore a “natural” glow and much more…. see www.drcovey.com for info on many other innovative, age defying treatment options.
11. Get back on a healthy nutritional program and avoid sugar. Tips on beautiful skin foods in my next blog.
Best Wishes for a great 2014!
Alexander Covey, M.D.
East End Laser Care.. we create natural good looks without surgery!