Glowing Skin for the Holidays
Snow has already started to fall in some areas and with the colder temperatures of the fall and winter season, comes a variety of skin concerns. In addition to dryness, one of the top concerns I hear about is dull, rough skin. When skin has lost its radiance, it looks older.
Where Did the Glow Go?
The natural glow from skin mainly comes from a high cellular turnover that reveals fresh new skin. As we age cellular turnover slows down and dead skin builds up to cause rough texture and lackluster skin.
Getting the Glow Back
There are a variety of ways you can go about getting your glow back.
DIET… Being conscious of your eating habits during the holidays will not only help you keep off the weight, but it’ll help your skin too. Sugar and processed foods aren’t good for the body and also reflect poorly on the skin. Staying hydrated and even eating foods with high water content can help. Foods with healthy fats, such as avocados, as well as other vegetables and fruits that are high in beta carotene and vitamin A empower radiant skin.
LIFESTYLE… Alcohol, soda, and caffeine drinks like coffee have a dehydrating effect on the skin. Smoking deprives the skin of vital nutrients and oxygen. Minimizing these vices can give your skin a better chance for healthy cellular production that’ll reflect externally. Getting good rest is important for rejuvenating your whole body and allows skin to restore its natural balance. Getting your “beauty sleep” isn’t just an old wives’ tale.
LASERS… These treatments offer a non surgical option for effective skin rejuvenation. Powerful targeted treatments beam tiny columns of light into the deeper layers of skin of a specific area. Lasers are available in different strengths and types to solve a variety of problems and reverse the signs of aging:
- Resurface the skin to restore glow
- Reduce deep lines and scars
- Firm up skin
- Reduce or eliminate skin pigmentation
- Smooth out the skins’ surface and texture
Laser treatments offer flexibility tailored to your specific skin rejuvenation needs. If you’ve just recently noticed an increasing dull complexion or it’s been years since you’ve wanted to do something about it, there is a laser for you. We offer laser treatments from gentle to intense, all the while delivering visible results.
- more aggressive approach for significant levels of concern
- carbon dioxide laser beams
- removes old damaged tissue to stimulate collagen production
- Fractional Deep Dermal Ablative (FDAA)
- moderate recovery, yet is insignificant compared to surgery
- middle strength for moderate levels of concern
- erbium and thulium laser
- safe for all skin types
- very commonly used for pigmentation and texture
- optimal results typically achieved in a series of treatments
- may experience mild redness for a day or two, but no downtime
Clear + Brilliant
- most gentle laser ideal for beginners wanting to “ease in to lasers”
- done in a series of treatments with no downtime
- visibly illuminates your skin tone
- optimal results typically achieved in a series of treatments
- no downtime
Let’s talk about the best laser options for you to restore your skin’s radiance and get back that glow for the holidays! Visit www.DrCovey.com to learn more.
Today’s Men are clearly in on having anti aging cosmetic procedures! My male clientelle is growing by leaps and bounds the same as others across the nation. There are a few differences between men’s demands and those of our female patients. Basically, Men want to look younger, more energetic and healthy simply because they want to…and because the competitive career market today demands that men and women look good. Our society equates looking good with youthfulness, thus the tremendous upsurge in age defying cosmetic treatments this past decade. Men also want their treatments to be “subtle”…they simple don’t want anyone else to know they’re having Botox® (Brotox) treatments for a smoother, younger looking face. Men want “in and out” no downtime options. That means treatments like Botox with reduced redness, swelling and bruising. (Be sure you use only a Certified Expert Injector).
We offer many Men’s anti aging cosmetic treatments that are safe and effective without surgery…that’s right no knife, no cutting and no downtime.
TOP COSMETIC TRENDS for MEN
- American Board of Plastic Surgery reports Male cosmetic treatments are up by 258% over 10 years
- Men are opting for more laser treatments to promote health and youthfulness
- Rhinoplasty, Hair Removal and Blepharoplasty (for the eyes) is still at the top
- Botox (Brotox), Hyaluronic Acid Fillers e.g. Juvederm, Restylane etc for lines and wrinkles and stressed look removal
- Microdermabrasion for skin resurfacing reveals younger, healthier skin, removes scars, sun damage and discoloration
- Men are starting cosmetic treatments at younger ages and then maintaining on a regular basis
- The Millenials treat cosmetic anti aging procedures as part of their regular health regimen
- Cosmetic treatments for men and women of the younger generations are the “New Beauty Economics”
- The stigma for men and cosmetic treatments is gone…men are in the deal to stay
- I offer non surgical alternatives to surgical procedures
Ok, we have the treatments and they work. But preventive measures are important too. Here are a few that can really make a difference in your quest for anti aging:
- Start now and do these the rest of your life to make a difference
- SKIN CARE is critical at every age. To maintain healthy skin keep well hydrated, including your facial skin. Yes, men need good skin hydration and protection against harmful environmental agents.
- Use Sunscreen – UVA and UVB rays are responsible for 90% of the early signs of facial aging
- Stress…manage it or it will manage you! Daily stressors contribute to acne, facial lines and grooves especially around the eyes.
- Exercise for Stress Reduction. Go to the gym and workout, ski, swim, bike etc to get the blood flowing and strengthen those heart muscles.
- Maintain a “healthy” diet. Get rid of the junk food. Instead, eat raw vegetables, fruits, good oils, drink at lest 64 ounces of water daily, eat more fish etc.
- Sleep is critical to good overall health. Lack of adequate sleep shows up in facial aging.
- Live a Healthy Lifestyle. Don’t smoke, limit alcohol consumptions, get over the party life and into a daily healthy routine.
- Visit my website for info on procedures/products: www.drcovey.com.
This post is an overview of future articles I’ll write educating on the procedures I offer to both men and women. Look for great info as we go through 2014… helping you to be your very best!
Well, we’re already half way through January, 2014 and my patients are still seeking ways to recover from the Holiday’s. In addition to my last two blogs discussing Glow N’Go Post Holiday Skin Rejuvenation and Clear+Brilliant Fraxel Laser treatments, this blog is a brief look at Botox Cosmetic, Dysport and Belotero. All three of these are injectables used to slow down the visible results of aging and restore many years of “youthfulness” to the face.
BOTOX and Brotox
We all develop worry lines, frown lines, laugh/smile lines and Crow’s feet referred to as “dynamic lines and wrinkles” caused by muscles in motion. These lines and wrinkles become more deeply etched into grooves as we age.
Botox® Cosmetic has been used for about two decades worldwide in medical treatments and was developed for cosmetic use in more recent years. Botox is injected into pre targeted areas to block the nerve impulses to the muscles. simultaneously it smooths out facial wrinkles.
Botox is safe, effective, non invasive (non surgical) and can be done over a lunch hour.
Brotox is so named for male Botox treatments using the same formula. Today’s men are having “in and out” cosmetic treatments for career reasons and to look good and be as healthy as possible.
DYSPORT® is a first cousin or twin to Botox Dysport is an injectable form of botulinum toxin type A, the same as Botox. Dysport was first developed in the United Kingdom to treat neurological, ophthalmic and neuromuscular disorders. It was further developed for cosmetic purposes like wrinkle treatments. It too is one of today’s safe, effective anti aging options. Here are some of Dyrport’s benefits:
· No downtime “in and out” lunch hour treatment
· Results are visible within 2 or 3 days, results are clinically proven to be longer lasting
· Dysport may be right for you
BELOTERO BALANCE® …for youthfulness that is uniquely you!
Facial youthfulness is lost as we age due to reduced production of HA (hyaluronic Acid) which affects the underlying facial support structure. Belotero is a highly effective injectable that restores these structures naturally.
Belotero is made from non animal based hyaluronic acid and is similar to other fillers such as Restylane® and Perlane®. Belotero is uniquely formulated to integrate smoothly with your skin for more natural results. It’s unique properties make it more versatile in correcting deep wrinkles and superficial lines. It can plump up your lips and smooth out laugh lines, upper lip lines, crow’s feet and marionette lines…discreetly. With Belotero, people will see a naturally younger looking you that will keep them wondering!
The goal for my blogs is to educate you, update you and encourage you in your quest for a healthy, more youthful aging process. At East End Laser Care I offer only safe yet advanced alternatives to plastic surgery. My patients have learned that they can “Forget the Knife” by using my preferred treatments. You can too!
It is most important to choose a trained, certified expert injector for all of your injectable/Botox/Filler treatments. Please know that more than 100,000 doctors are allowed to perform injectables in the U.S. but only 3% are qualified to do so. Expert Injectors are endorsed by the prestigious American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Buyer Beware!
Best to You and Yours,
Did she or didn’t she? Keep them guessing with the NEW dermal filler that offers quick lasting volume naturally!
Alexander Covey, M.D. and East End Laser Care are excited to introduce Belotero Balance®, the new secret weapon in the fight against aging. Belotero is the newest dermal filler recently approved by the FDA. It is an excellent filler for fine lines and wrinkles such as upper lip lines and crow’s feet. Used extensively in Europe, Belotero has a proven track record of providing instant volume and smooth facial contours for a younger and more radiant appearance.
Belotero Balance dermal filler is made with Hyaluronic Acid (HA), a naturally occurring substance in your body that is an important element in helping to support your skin’s structure. As we age, the production of natural dermal volumizers and moisturizers (including HA) diminish leaving behind fine lines and wrinkles. With Belotero, we can instantly replace the volume you’ve lost giving you back the smoother, wrinkle-free skin you’ve been missing.
One of the advantages of Belotero is its unique formulation which allows it to integrate seamlessly with your skin to provide subtle and even results without disrupting the natural contours of your face. Belotero can plump up your lips and smooth out laugh lines, upper lip lines, crow’s feet and marionette lines discreetly, without anyone knowing. All they’ll see is a naturally younger looking and beautiful you.
To learn more about Belotero or other cosmetic treatments, call Alexander J. Covey, MD and East End Laser Care at (631) 878-9200 or visit www.drcovey.com.
It’s December again . . .our radios are playing holiday music, our offices are decorated with sparkling tinsel and jingle bells, our Toys For Tots box is filling up (thank you once again for helping us with this very worthy cause) and our patients are rushing in for their pre-holiday touch-ups.
Today was no exception. At least 7 people asked me this morning which treatment can give them the best result in the shortest amount of time. Since so many are asking I thought I’d share my thoughts here.
While almost all of our treatments fit this description, the most popular treatments this time of year are usually Botox/Dysport, Dermal Fillers, Microdermabrasions, chemical peels and facials. Each of these treatments immediately combats the signs of aging leaving you with naturally younger and healthy looking skin.
Botox and Dysport are simple and safe non-surgical injectable treatments that smooth the dynamic wrinkles and erase that “angry” look some have due to forehead wrinkles and creases. Using very tiny micro-needles, Botox or Dysport is injected right into the muscle causing the wrinkle action. Within 3-10 days your skin smooths out and the wrinkles are diminished – just in time for all those holiday get-togethers.
Dermal fillers, including Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm and Radiesse, work a little differently. They actually replace volume lost under the skin and are perfect for plumping up your lips, filling in smile lines and giving you back the youthful contours of your face.
Microdermabrasions, chemical peels and other facials are quick refreshing non-surgical treatments that rejuvenate and revitalize your skin. Designed specifically for your skin type, these treatments exfoliate your skin, promote new cell growth, clean your pores, stimulate collagen networking and improve your skin’s texture giving you a healthy glow. And they’re relaxing too – something many of our patients look forward to this time of year!