Monthly Archives: October 2014
This week is Halloween and many people will be dressing in costumes of all kinds. Some of the most popular are witches and skeletons. You know what I’ve noticed in the face makeup? That they put dark circles around the eyes and under the cheek bones to hollow them out. Unfortunately, this is already naturally occurring for many people, though much more subtly, and without the need for costume makeup; it’s called volume loss. Over time, the face loses its fullness, and instead appears sunken, hollow, and sagging. Let’s learn how to say goodbye to hollow cheeks on Halloween, and say hello to a full, youthful glow.
Why does “hollow” happen?
- One of the main causes of volume loss is the damage that ultraviolet rays do to the cells that create the collagen, which is a protein that is crucial to keeping skin full, firm, and youthful.
- Also, as we age, we lose fat in the face. Fat usually isn’t thought of as our friend, but actually it is necessary for keeping the “cushion” in your face. Fat is important for youthful contouring around eyes, cheeks, and chin/jawline.
- Up and down weight loss stretches the ligaments that hold up the facial tissue and can result in loss of elasticity and volume.
- Hormonal changes in women also affect the facial volume. As estrogen levels decline, so does the amount and quality of the fat in the face.
Fixing Volume Loss With Fillers
A great way to restore the fullness to your face is with Hyaluronic Acid (HA) fillers. HA is a naturally occurring substance in the body that binds with water in the injected site to plump up the area. It is great for filling in sunken facial areas experiencing volume loss, as well as wrinkles. Realize though, that all fillers aren’t the same in their viscosity and smoothness, and therefore some work better when injected in different areas of the face.
Here are the 4 main “problem areas” of facial volume loss and what fillers could be the solution.
- Eye area problem: Drooping eyebrows, sagging under eyes and hollow temples all cause a worn down, aged eye area. Solution: RESTYLANE, PERLANE, JUVEDERM, and BELOTERO can all help fill in sunken tear troughs, crow’s feet, and hollowed temples.
- Midface problem: This is one of the first areas where volume loss is noticed. This shows up as flattened, hollow cheeks, or smile lines. Solution: JUVEDERM VOLUMA XC is the thickest hyaluronic acid filler available today, which makes it the most effective for the deeper injections required to effectively contour the midface. By restoring fullness to the midface the surrounding skin is tightened, giving a slight mini facelift.
- Mouth area & lip problem: Marionette lines, lip creases, and overall thinning of lips resulting from volume loss. Solution: JUVEDERM, RESTYLANE, PERLANE, and BELOTERO can smooth out lines and give you the perfect pout.
- Chin & jawline problem: When volume drops from the middle of the face and moves downward, the jowls become more prominent. This could create a more square shaped face rather than inverted triangle. Solution: RADIESSE, though not a Hyaluronic Acid filler, can help reshape and restore volume to the chin and jawline.
So say goodbye to sunken hollow faces with the witches and skeletons of Halloween, and say hello to your new contoured face with Hyaluronic Acid (HA) fillers. Visit www.DrCovey.com to find out how I can help you.
With the holidays coming, everyone will be taking pictures and posting them on social media sites like Facebook and Instagram. You will want to look your best when you are inevitably asked for that memory capturing photo that will be seen by hundreds of people. I’ve compiled some tips for the treatments that I can do to help, plus some from the photography experts. This list will help you know how to get that great, social media worthy picture.
The wrong look can instantly frame you in an unflattering light. Here are some tips to help you look great in photos:
- Treat Your “Tzone” Right… Forehead wrinkles shout out your age from the roof tops, so calm those lines with BOTOX or DYSPORT. These injectables temporarily “relax” the muscles so that those deep lines won’t overshadow your face. Keep in mind that the flash from cameras often bring out the shine from your “Tzone”, so you should always apply a light dusting of translucent powder.
- Double Chin, Don’t Go There… Due to camera illusion, the unflattering double chin can appear in photos even when there really isn’t much of one in real life. To trick the camera into slimming down your face, tilt your head down slightly and your chin out just a touch so that your cheekbones are higher and you look like you have a sharper jaw line. If the double chin is a real issue that you’d like to fix, SMARTLIPO TRIPLEX, THERMAGE CPT and EXILIS are some of the treatments we offer that can address this concern.
- Perfect that Pout… Surveys say that people perceive thin lips as an indication of age, so you’ll want to have that plush pout ready. JUVEDERM and RESTYLANE are hyaluronic fillers that increase lip volume. These fillers can be precisely injected to create natural, sexy and supple lips you’ll want to show off. And don’t forget to choose the right lipstick color to show off your perfect pout. Shades of pink, peach, and rose complement most skin tones. Blue undertones will help your teeth look more white.
- Follow the Three “P’s”… Position, Posture and Pose are easy to manage steps to making your picture turn out right.
- Position yourself in the middle of a group photo rather on the end because the images near the edge of the frame will tend to look bigger.
- Good posture not only makes you look taller, it can also make you look thinner and your stomach flatter. This is an easy one to do that takes less than five seconds: Stand up straight, roll your shoulders back, lift up your chest and lengthen your neck.
- Pose by resting your weight on one leg, which has a slimming effect. This natural resting pose can be accompanied by a hand on the hip with shoulder and elbow pointed back. This prevents the “fat arm” that often happens when it’s pressed against the body. Allow your hands to fall, cupping naturally rather than pressing flat against your body, which can make them look larger than normal.
Take photos confidently with these tips for looking great, and let me help you to get “picture perfect ready” for the holidays with one or more of the exciting treatments we offer at www.DrCovey.com.
One of the best options to rejuvenate your skin for Fall is with a FRAXEL laser treatment. You’ll love your smooth, clear complexion that radiates a youthful glow. Available in three different strengths, FRAXEL lasers offer a versatile, effective treatment option that provides the best non surgical results:
- CLEAR + BRILLIANT is a great option if you are new to laser treatments. It is the most gentle of the 3 lasers and is still effective at the early signs of aging.
- FRAXEL DUAL effectively addresses more moderate aging concerns. You can experience a remarkably more youthful appearance without any downtime.
- FRAXEL REPAIR penetrates deeper into the dermis to stimulate the rebuilding of collagen. It is the most intense of the 3 lasers, but requires fewer treatments to see rejuvenating results more quickly. Results are amazing and recovery is more of a “social downtime;” it is minimal, especially compared to the stronger chemical peels and surgical alternatives.
What is on your Fall beauty wish list? I’m sure some of these issues that can be treated with FRAXEL lasers are on there:
- Age & Sun Spots pop up with exposure to the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays. These brown patches plague the face and body with an aged look. FRAXEL lasers can lighten this pigmentation to restore clear, bright, and even toned skin.
- Skin Resurfacing restores the smooth texture, tightness, color, and brightness that diminishes over the years. While most treatments only address the externally affected skin, FRAXEL lasers resurface your skin from the inside out. They can reverse skin damage created by exposure to the sun, air pollution, stress, and fatigue. Harmful lifestyle factors can also cause the skin to lose its radiance, such as smoking, poor diet, and dehydration.
- Wrinkles and lines that age the face can creep in as early as mid 2os, but usually are more noticeable starting in the 30s. They only get deeper with years of expression and muscle movement, reduced cellular turnover and increased moisture loss. Amazingly, FRAXEL lasers actually stimulate collagen rebuild and therefore the skin acts younger and tighter, reducing wrinkles.
- Acne and Surgical Scars can mature the face years beyond natural age by causing an uneven, rough texture to the surface. In addition to being bumpy or pitted, the skin can be discolored.
- Actinic Keratosis is a medical condition caused by pre-cancerous skin cells. More professionals are turning to FRAXEL lasers to help treat these scaly or crusty growths, and to provide relief for thousands of people.
- Melasma presents as dark blotches caused by the hormonal changes in women’s bodies throughout the stages of life. Melasma is commonly associated with pregnancy and breastfeeding, oral contraceptives, or hormone replacement therapy. These dark brown spots are different than sun damage. FRAXEL can lighten melasma anywhere, but it most commonly appears on the forehead, lower cheeks, nose, and upper lip.
Refresh your face with FRAXEL and be ready for the social holiday season coming soon! Visit www.DrCovey.com to learn more and schedule a consultation to see which FRAXEL laser is best for you.
Get that Perfect Pout for the Fall Holiday Season
Plush lips are sensual, aesthetic, and age defying. Some surveys state that not just the absence of wrinkles, but the full lips of a woman are influential in how young others perceive her to be. This is not an unusual perception because it is true that the reduction of collagen as you age can thin out your lips. Other factors, such as sun damage, less moisture, and fine lines above the lips add years to your lips, and therefore, your face.
Lips Aging Through the Decades
Lips should have a natural fullness through the 20s and 30s, with a fairly well-defined curve to the lower lip, known as a “cupid’s bow.” By the time you’ve reached your 40s, the cupid’s bow can lose its curves and the lips will probably begin to thin. In the 50s and beyond, creases from pout wrinkles can diminish the appearance of the lips even more beyond volume loss, and make it nearly impossible to use lipstick and liner tricks to hide.
HA Fillers for a Perfect Pout
If a full sultry smile is on your wish list for this holiday season, injecting the lips with hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers, such as JUVEDERM and RESTYLANE, can help. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring liquid present in the human body that attracts water to the source and plumps lips using the body’s natural methods. The smooth texture and FDA approved safety of Restylane and Juvederm make them a top pick for lip contouring
How Lips Should Look
You’ve all heard the jokes about “duck lips” (too much filler in the philtrum) and over filled lumpy lips; regardless of your age, no one wants their lips to look over done. This is why it’s so important to find an experienced injector who understands how to create the look you want within the harmony of your face. If you’re new to getting lip injections, you may want to start off slowly and have multiple sessions to build up to your desired fullness. Even small amounts of filler “pop” the contours of your natural shape.
Remember that the goal is to create, sexy, full, and natural looking lips. To do this, the center part should be slightly fuller with a well curved Cupid’s bow. In a nicely proportioned lip, the lower lip should be about twice the size of the upper lip, rather than both being the same size. You want soft, supple lips that look and move naturally.
This is the perfect time to get your lips filled for that perfect pout to flaunt in the holiday season. You’ll love how they look and how they take years off your appearance. Check out my website www.DrCovey.com for some great before and after photos to imagine the possibilities of what youth enhancing lips can do for you.
The stores are full of fall décor, the temperature is cooling down, parties are beginning to get put on the calendar… we are coming into the fall holiday season. With all the family, social, and charitable events that will be filling up your days and nights, you’ll want to look and feel your best. Now is an ideal time to start your body’s holiday rejuvenation plan.
It’s always better to be proactive rather than to procrastinate, especially when it comes to your appearance. Take advantage of the lull in the social calendar now, rather than remembering you have a party the upcoming Friday and try to squeeze in a quick treatment on the Wednesday before. With the convenience of our “in and out” procedures, you’ll be on your way to a more youthful appearance yet won’t have to sacrifice time away from the social scene. By getting a head start now, you’ll have the full anti aging benefits of the treatments by the time the season is in full swing.
Here are some of the top treatments for restoring and contouring your body coming in to the fall season:
- As the weather cools down, body sculpting with SmartLipo TriPlex can help you look your best in your holiday attire. It will conveniently melt away stubborn fat bulges on the abdomen, hips, and thighs with minimal down time compared to traditional liposuction methods. Laser liposuction can help to shape the body to an aesthetic proportion so that your tummy is flatter, hips and buttocks are the right kind of curvy, and thighs are slimmer. This can help get you on the right track, which you can then maintain with a healthy diet and exercise routine. Also, amazingly, SmartLipo TriPlex lasers interact with collagen to help tighten and shrink the skin so it can even be used under the chin and upper arms.
- Cellulite Treatments with the Cellulaze Laser will smooth out the skin on your legs so you can confidently wear those above the knee dresses at cocktail parties. The Cellulaze Laser diminishes lumpy fat pockets while increasing the elasticity of skin with such effectiveness that over 93% of people surveyed were satisfied or very satisfied with the results.
- EXILIS fights both cellulite and fat using the most advanced radio frequency energy. It liquefies fat cells and tightens skin to reduce unwanted inches while lifting loose skin anywhere on your body. Some of the most popular areas are the Face, Jowls, Neck, Chest, Back, Love Handles, Bra Fat, Abdomen, Thighs, Hips, Buttocks and Knees.
Goals for Your New Look
Our goal for your body reshaping is to achieve harmony and balance for the entire body. We create a slimmer yet natural looking redefined body. What are your goals?
- Do you want to tighten loose skin after dramatic weight loss or after childbirth?
- Is feeling more confident in the stylish clothes of the season important to you?
- How about feeling lighter, healthier, and more energetic to take on a holiday season with confidence?
Let’s get ready now for the coming holiday season by talking about your goals for your body transformation. And check out my website www.DrCovey.com for more ideas on body contouring.
Dr. Alexander Covey